Thursday, October 7, 2010

Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup

Guess who had dinner ready and waiting when I got home from work today...



I have a love hate relationship with my crockpot.  I love the idea of a one pot dinner, I love the idea of a meal cooking while I'm not.  But -- I hate all of the precooking that is usually involved, I hate the texture of the meat and vegetables that are cooked past their prime.
That's not the case at all with this soup/stew/chili.  Everything is added to the pot, nothing is precooked, and nothing comes out overcooked.  Definitely a keeper and a great quick slow-cooking meal for those cool nights we're enjoying.

Ingredients

1 onion, chopped
1 (16 ounce) can chili beans
1 (15 ounce) can black beans
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (12 fluid ounce) bottle of Bud Light Lime (use what you have or sub chicken broth)
2 (10 ounce) cans medium Rotel
1-2 (1.25 ounce) packages taco seasoning
Cumin and Garlic Powder (to taste)
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast or tenders
shredded cheese
sour cream
chili lime tortilla strips (Texas Toast brand - or sub corn or tortilla chips)

  1. Add all ingredients to crockpot, with chicken on top.  Push chicken down til just covered in liquid.
  2. Turn crockpot on low for 5 hours.  After 5 hours, shred chicken.  Continue cooking on low for 2-3 hours.
  3. Top with cheese, sour cream, and tortilla strips.
  4. Wash 1 pot, 1 spoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment