|Photo : Timeless Gourmet|
1 Lg Can Whole Baby Clams (roughly chopped)
1 Lg Can Minced Clams
8 oz Clam Juice
4 Strips Bacon (Cut into small pieces)
3-4 Cloves Garlic
1 Onion (chopped)
1 c Celery (diced, about 2 ribs)
4 Lg Potatoes (peeled and cubed)
3-4 Carrots (peeled and diced)
3/4 c Butter
3/4 c AP Flour
1 quart half-and-half (fat free is fine)
2 T Red Wine Vinegar
Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- Brown bacon in large skillet.
- Add potatoes, onion, celery, carrots, garlic and clam juice. Drain juice from canned claims over vegetables and add enough water or broth to cover vegetables. Cook over medium-medium high heat until tender.
- While the vegetables are cooking, melt butter in large dutch oven (I use enameled cast iron) over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth.
- Whisk in half-and-half and heat (stirring continually) until thick and smooth.
- Add vegetables with clam juice to the cream base and stir gently until well combined.
- In the last 5-10 minutes add in clams and vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with Oyster Crackers and big spoons.